Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Potbelly's * Wow Bao * Portillo's

My top 3 "fast food" places to eat in Downtown Chicago, and in no particular order:

* Potbelly's
We were so stubborn, and by stubborn, we mean downright silly stubborn. The first time we ever walked into Potbelly's, it was to just get a drink. But it was during a busy time of the day, so the line was forever long. Little did we know, there was good reason why it was so packed. But because we got so frustrated, we walked right out. Fast forward about a year later, B was at the airport when he decided to give it a try. The text that I got was "Potbelly's is SOOO good!" We had missed out on this gem for so long, it's hard to forgive ourselves. Oh well, all the more reason to make up for that now! What makes it so good? The bread is nice and chewy, it's made to your order and then they toast your creation. Their giardiniera peppers are simply amazing. For whatever reason, Potbelly's is the last place I think of, but after the first bite, I have to wonder why - it is just THAT good. My fave - the Wreck on regular with Provolone. You can also order it via skinny (less bread and less meat) . Oh, and if you can, you gotta have their oatmeal chocolate chip cookies! And lastly, their milkshakes....Oh, how I heart you, PB! To drive the point home, we had cousins visiting from California and took them eating all over town. What do they STILL talk about? Potbelly's! My brother, Josh (@ 13) put it best when he called them: "the best sandwiches....IN THE WORLD!!"


$4.50 for regular size, $5.50 for the BIG @ 30% bigger
(image borrowed from panlasangpinoy.com, until I can get a picture of my own!)

* WoW Bao (This one's for you, V!)
My fondest memories of my grandma is helping her make "Banh Bao", Vietnamese ball-shaped dumpling, filled with pork, an egg, chinese sausage and then steamed. They are so light fluffy on the outside, and a little on the sweetened side. I always wished there was more fluffy dough, and less filling. So imagine my GLEE (yes, I threw in an ode to the show) when I saw Wow Bao and their miniature steamed buns! The proportions are perfect and I am pretty full after eating 3 of them. I say that I'm full, but my taste buds still crave for more. My fave: Teriyaki Chicken. It's just the right amount of sweet and savory. Honestly, I haven't had one that I didn't like. I just know which one I like the most, and tend to stick with it. I have yet to try their dessert baos - coconut custard and chocolate. And their ginger ale is homemade with fresh ginger. It definitely takes like fresh ginger, so be prepared. They don't just have baos, they also have rice bowls, salads and potstickers. But when the marketing campaign is "Hot Asian Buns", why waste your time with any of their other stuff?


$1.49 each

* Portillo's
This place is insanely busy at any given lunch time. There are two lines when you walk in, one for the hot dog/hamburger/fries side (Portillo's) and the pasta/salad/ribs side (Barnelli's). While I do have a soft spot for hot dogs, I rarely go to the Portillo's side (I prefer charred dogs, I think they may steam them here). Barnelli's all the way. Every single time, it's a debate between the chopped salad (best ever!) or the Rigatoni Ala Vodka. The salad is so refreshing and I adore the little pasta tubes and the real bacon bits. The house dressing is a.m.a.z.i.n.g. I always ask for extra. It has an itty bitty wave of heat that gets me every time. Man, it's really, really good. The rigatoni has the perfect sauce. It also has some unexpected heat. There is no meat in it, which I think is a shame. So basically, when I go, I always ask if anyone wants to split the salad. No one ever regrets it when they do! Is it sad that I'm such a creature of habit, that I don't eat anything else but those two? I digress..the other thing I MUST eat there - is the fantastic CHOCOLATE. I don't know what they put in it, but it just melts in my mouth every time. They sell by the slice or the whole cake. I dream of buying the whole cake. My latest adventure? The Chocolate Cake Shake. What's that? Exactly what it says! Chocolate cake is blended into the shake that every sip has a chunk of cake. More frosting, please! I prefer the cake all by itself though, the whole cake.


$2.35 a slice/$17.49 whole freakin' cake!

I am sure I'm forgetting some other places, but since these 3 popped up first, I will consider them my faves! Chicago folks, what are your fave "fast food" priced joints, but better than "fast food" quality?

No comments:

Post a Comment