Friday, July 9, 2010

Mango and Sticky Rice? Um, yes please!

Wow, I am on a blogging roll today! I can't help it! Just as I finished my last blog, I jumped on facebook and saw a recipe that I MUST share from my friend Lisa.

A wee little backstory: My friend Lisa and her friend Rachel, are the team behind Jolie Jolie: All things Prettiful. She is actually one of my inspirations to start this blog with MY (best) friend jjenell. You must check out their blog, they have such cute stuff to share - stuff they make AND stuff that they draw inspiration from. We all could use some fellow inspiration, that is for sure!

So, when I go to Thai Restaurants, I'm almost always drawn to one of their infamous desserts: Mango and Sticky Rice. However, unlucky for me since being in Chicago, this dessert is very seasonal. And when do you think I have the most craving for one? Yes, dead middle of winter! Lucky for me, now I know how to make it myself - thanks to Lisa!

Oh, and for the mangos, I suggest getting the flat, yellow mangos. They are also known as the Filipino mango. They are sweeter and don't have any of the stringy stuff.

Here is a mouthwatering picture - oh emm gee!



What you need ::

2 cups of coconut milk [about a full can]
3/4 cups sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups of sticky rice [i used the Kokuho Rose brand]
1 1/2 cup water
3 -4 ripe mangoes
Roasted sesame seeds [optional]
RICE COOKER =)

Ok .. what you need to do ::

• Soak the rice in water for about 20 -30 mins.

While that is soaking ...
• Prepare the coconut milk. In a pot, put the coconut milk in to a medium boil. Then you add the sugar and salt until it all dissolves. Put aside.
• Cut the mangoes and store in the fridge until ready to eat.

When you are done soaking the rice drain it and put the rice and the 1 1/2 cups of water into the rice cooker and let it cook in there like normal rice. BUT.. depending on your rice cooker, half way through open it up and stir in about half of the coconut milk you prepared earlier and then let it finish cooking. I like to stir the rice every 5-10 mins during the whole process ... but im sure that is not needed. VOILA! you got mango and sticky rice. I believe that the longer you let it sit in the rice cooker after it's done cooker will make it stickier.. but don't let it stay in the rice cooker too long or it will burn.

ENJOY!!!

Thanks again, Lisa! And my buds thanks you, too - my tastebuds, that is :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment